How to Pray the Rosary
wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
In the Roman Catholic faith, the Rosary is one of the most beautiful, powerful, and sacred prayers. The Rosary is a devotion to God through a devotion to Mary. The Rosary is Scriptural, Christ centered, and the twenty Mysteries reflect the life of Jesus Christ. The Rosary offers hope when life can be unbearable.
- Begin by touching the crucifix and pray
The Sign of the Cross.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Latin:
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiriti Sancti. Amen.
- As you say this, with your right hand touch your forehead when you say Father, touch your breastbone when you say Son, touch your left shoulder when you say Holy, and touch your right shoulder when you say Spirit.
- Pray The Apostles Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, died, and was buried. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of God, the Father almighty. He shall come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen. Latin:
Credo in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, Creatorem caeli et terrae. Et in Iesum Christum, Filium eius unicum, Dominum nostrum, qui conceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, natus ex Maria Virgine, passus sub Pontio Pilato, crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus, descendit ad inferos, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis, ascendit ad caelos, sedet ad dexteram Dei Patris omnipotentis, inde venturus est iudicare vivos et mortuos. Credo in Spiritum Sanctum, sanctam Ecclesiam catholicam, sanctorum communionem, remissionem peccatorum, carnis resurrectionem, vitam aeternam. Amen.
- On the first large rosary bead, pray the Our Father
Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive
us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen. Latin:
Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.
- On each of the next three beads, pray a Hail Mary.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. Latin:
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Jesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.
- Pray these Hail Marys with the following intentions:
- For the increase of faith.
- For the increase of hope.
- For the increase of love.
- On the next large bead, pray Glory Be To the Father
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Latin:
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
- Announce the Mystery
- On the first rosary bead, pray the Our Father
- On each of the next ten beads, pray a Hail Mary
- On the next large bead, pray a Glory Be To The Father
- Pray a Fatima Prayer
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen. Latin
:Domine Iesu, dimitte nobis debita nostra, salva nos ab igne inferiori, perduc in caelum omnes animas, praesertim eas, quae misericordiae tuae maxime indigent.
- Repeat the previous six steps for each of the remaining Mysteries as you work your way around the rosary beads.
- Pray a Hail Holy Queen
HAIL HOLY QUEEN, mother of mercy; our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us. And after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Amen. Latin:
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae; vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve. Ad te clamamus, exules filii Hevae; ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes in hac lacrymarum valle. Eia ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte; et Jesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exilium ostende. O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria. Amen.
- Pray the Final Prayer
O GOD, WHOSE only-begotten Son by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life; grant, we beseech Thee, that by meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
- End with the Sign of the Cross
- You do not actually need a Rosary, You can pray the Rosary on your fingers or by using another method of counting.
- If you are nervous about an upcoming event silently say just a decade in your head as you drive there or wait in line for your turn. It is very relaxing to know that our Blessed Mother and Jesus Christ are there for you.
- Say a decade for a individual in need. All you need to do is mention the name of the person at the end of the decade. (i.e. Oh Lord I lift up this decade of the rosary for (persons name) because (certain circumstance that calls for prayer.)
Things You'll Need
Sources and Citations
Article provided by wikiHow
, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Pray the Rosary
. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license
Illustration Courtesy of TheChristianWallPapers.com