The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a beautiful set of prayers similar to a Rosary
In fact, it's said on Rosary beads. It was composed by St. Faustina Kowalska in response to visions she had from Jesus Christ, who revealed Himself as the Divine Mercy.
- Make the Sign of the Cross
- Say this Optional Opening Prayer.
- O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
- Pray the Lord's Prayer
- Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive
us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
- Pray to the Virgin Mary
- Hail, Mary, full of Grace, the LORD is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Say the Apostle's Creed.
- I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Say the Eternal Father.
- Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
- Say "For the Sake..." prayer on the ten small bead of each decade.
- For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
- Repeat for the remaining decades.
- Conclude with Holy God.
- Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
- Say this Optional Closing Prayer.
- Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion â€” inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.
- There is also a Novena of Divine Mercy traditionally prayed between Good Friday and the Feast of Divine Mercy (the Sunday after Easter).
- As with the Rosary, while it is helpful to have beads (and the Chaplet is easier to say on a full five-decade Rosary than on a one-decade or ring rosary), it is not necessary to have the beads. You can say the prayers on your hands by using one hand to count the five decades and the other hand to count the ten prayers by counting the fingers twice. However, using rosary beads is easier.
- As with the Rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is an indulgence prayer (see the Marians website for details). However, it isn't magic. Think about what you're saying, and try to draw a little closer to God and a little further from sin as you say the Chaplet.
- Another way of reflecting whilst praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is to focus on the five wounds of Christ: his head, his side, his two hands and two feet. Pray each decade while reflecting on the many sins we commit with our head (mind), our hands, our feet, etc. For example, we commit the sin of gossip with our mouth and our mind, the sin of assault with our feet and hands, the sin of envy with our eyes, etc.
- Offer each decade for a person who particularly needs prayer.
- Praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a good way of reminding yourself that God is God, and you are not, and you do need Jesus as your Savior. It's a healthy reminder that we all have sinned but God is ready and willing to forgive us, but not just so we can go out and sin again.
Things You'll Need
- Rosary beads or 10 fingers
Sources and Citations
Article provided by wikiHow
, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Creative Commons license
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy in Song - Produced by Trish Short
In need of prayer? Send requests to PrayerRequest@Christian-Miracles.com